20 Questions with Vanessa Zahorian
1. What is your breakfast of choice?
2. What is your pre-performance ritual?
“Makeup, hair, warm-up.”
3. Last passport stamp?
4. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Where do you see dance in 10 years?
“Teaching young children ballet. Five year olds up to 10 or 11. Who knows; we will see. I could also see myself in something other than dance but something in the arts and creative. Maybe design of some sort. Fashion…”
5. What gives you inspiration?
“Challenges and new inspirations. Change is good too. I like taking risks. I like to always improve and get better. I like to watch my videos and see my mistakes and try to improve them. I like to work with many different choreographers and to take classes outside of my normal to see other dancers and see what I could improve on. There is so much to learn and from watching others in all dance forms. I love Gyrotonics. This is one of my new inspirations.”
6. What are your biggest vices or indulgences?
“Chocolate, hehehehe. Sweets.”
7. What’s the biggest challenge you’ve faced in your career?
“Having the director not like you anymore or see you as his favorite, so finding a way to do it for myself. It’s easy for any director to become bored with their dancers especially after twelve years in the same company. So we have to remember its really for ourselves not their approval only.”
8. If you hadn’t chosen this career, what might you be doing?
“Something in the arts. I like to draw and create…use my imagination.”
9. Favorite book?
“Angels and Demons, Da Vinci Code. I like mystery books, problem solving books, and romance is nice too.”
10. What’s your favorite non-dance activity or hobby?
“I like swimming, hiking, nature, walking outside in good weather, going to the beach and laying out. Probably most of all I love traveling all around the world to new and different countries that I’ve never been to before. This is a thrill.”
11. Pet peeves?
“I can’t stand people who are loud and obnoxious, pushy people. Can’t stand negativity or drama.”
12. Where do/would you most like to travel?
“Africa, Australia, Thailand, Maldives, Bora Bora.”
13. What’s your idea of relaxation? What’s your idea of fun?
“Laying out on the beach is relaxation. For fun, traveling to a new country or hanging out with my friends dancing in a new club.”
14. Do you get bored?
“Yes, when I don’t have anything to do. But I’ll find it quickly, because that’s what I do.”
15. Are you more introverted or extroverted? Do you need long periods of time alone, or are you energized by interaction?
“I’m extroverted… I like time with friends, but enough time alone. I have to have an equal amount of time alone and time with friends and family. Too much of one exhausts me.”
16. What’s your average bedtime?
“I go to bed usually at midnight.”
17. What’s something people would be surprised to know about you?
“I’m very open and love change…I want to move and live in Europe.”
18. Where would you like to live long-term?
19. Last song you listened to on your ipod?
“Day N Nite by Kid Cuddie”
20. Words to live by?
[ico_female]Vanessa Zahorian’s DancePulp profile[/ico_female]