20 Questions with Laurel Keen
photo © Weiferd Watts, Marty Sohl
Laurel Keen is a principal dancer with Alonzo King’s Lines Ballet.
1. What is your breakfast of choice?
“Granola and decaf.”
2. What is your pre-performance ritual?
“Finding some time to myself, ipod and emergen-C-y.”
3. Last passport stamp?
4. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Where do you see dance in 10 years?
“Having a family and doing something that makes me really happy, dance or non-dance. I read an article recently that suggested the idea of more narrative story ballets making a comeback. Many choreographers have redone or re-imagined the classics but i think it would be really interesting if there were new full length narrative ballets created. With everything we have learned in the last half of the century there would be so many different styles to chose from.”
5. What gives you inspiration?
“Finding beauty in little everyday things. Someone being kind on the bus, a weird walk, watching someone speak in another language, a kid throwing a tantrum, watching a leaf roll down the street…”
6. What are your biggest vices or indulgences?
7. What’s the biggest challenge you’ve faced in your career?
“Injuries and realizing that your body doesn’t always match up with your desire.”
8. If you hadn’t chosen this career, what might you be doing?
“Photographer or social worker/therapist.”
9. Favorite book?
“Catcher in the Rye”
10. What’s your favorite non-dance activity or hobby?
11. Pet peeves?
12. Where do/would you most like to travel?
“New Zealand at the moment.”
13. What’s your idea of relaxation? What’s your idea of fun?
“Staying in bed all day watching movies…roadtrips.”
14. Do you get bored?
“Not often, even as a kid I could be quite content to just stare off into space thinking.”
15. Are you more introverted or extroverted? Do you need long periods of time alone, or are you energized by interaction?
“Introverted but extroverted with people close to me. I definitely need a lot of alone time. I crave it.”
16. What’s your average bedtime?
17. What’s something people would be surprised to know about you?
“I have a crush on Leonard Nimoy.”
18. Where would you like to live long-term?
“I would love to live in France for a while. I have visited several times but would love to call it home for a while.”
19. Last song you listened to on your ipod?
“Electric Feel, MGMT”
20. Words to live by?