20 Questions with Kathi Martuza
Photo credits unknown. If you’re the photographer please contact us to get credit.
1. What is your breakfast of choice?
“A whole wheat tortilla with melted cheese, avocado and arugula-drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper.”
2. What is your pre-performance ritual?
“I put my feet up and take a nap. I drink a cup of black tea while I do my hair and make-up. Then I tape my toes, do a 10 min. floor-barre, and a 15 min. barre, put on my costume and go over a few steps.”
3. Last passport stamp?
4. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Where do you see dance in 10 years?
“Myself in ten – hopefully I’ll have two kids and be working on a master’s degree in psychology. Dance in ten – that’s a harder question with the state of the economy right now. Hopefully it will get re-worked along with everything else and people will see the importance of beauty in their lives, leading dance to become a more mainstream passtime and escape.”
5. What gives you inspiration?
“The sun. Music.”
6. What are your biggest vices or indulgences?
“Red wine and potato chips.”
7. What’s the biggest challenge you’ve faced in your career?
“Leaving a very well known, very well established, very large and secure ballet company for …let’s just say, not that.”
8. If you hadn’t chosen this career, what might you be doing?
“I’d like to think I’d have a doctorate in psychology or a master’s in social work.”
9. Favorite book?
“There are so many. Most recently read: This Boy’s Life by Tobias Wolfe”
10. What’s your favorite non-dance activity or hobby?
11. Pet peeves?
“I hate when people have their paper towels hanging out the front of their pointe shoes. I hate when my husband leaves the kitchen cabinets hanging open.”
12. Where do/would you most like to travel?
“My top 3 places I want to go: New Zealand, Brazil, Japan.”
13. What’s your idea of relaxation? What’s your idea of fun?
“For relaxing: laying in the sun with a good book. Fun: Going out dancing with a bunch of friends.”
14. Do you get bored?
15. Are you more introverted or extroverted? Do you need long periods of time alone, or are you energized by interaction?
16. What’s your average bedtime?
17. What’s something people would be surprised to know about you?
“I was obsessed with the drama of the most recent season of The Bachelor.”
18. Where would you like to live long-term?
“I love Portland, OR.”
19. Last song you listened to on your ipod?
“Margaritaville – Jimmy Buffet”
20. Words to live by?